The department teaches 7 undergraduate degree programmes: BSc Honours degrees in Computer Science (CS), Software Engineering (SE), Business Information Systems (BIS) and Computer Science with Law (CSL), as well as MEng Computer Science (MEng CS) and BEng/MEng Computer & Electronic Systems (BEng CES and MEng CES respectively).
The grid below summarises information found in the University Calendar and shows only CIS taught classes - classes provided by other departments are shown on detailed pages by clicking on the + icon or on the column headings. Special regulations may apply to students transferring from other degree programmes or direct entrants to second and third year.
Computer and Information Sciences (CIS) classes are split into four main strands: Software Construction, Theory & Algorithms, Computer Systemsand Information Systems. Computer Science and Software Engineering students follow all strands while other degrees follow three or four strands. Where you have a choice of classes, your decision will probably affect your options in subsequent years and may affect your load balance between the two semesters. In general however, you should pick classes you believe are of interest to you, not to balance your loading between semesters. The department may not run all options each year and may withdraw an option when too few students register.
Each year has a year adviser of studies (), a year notice board () and a CS timetable page () - click on the icons to see these pages, on class names for class details and on degree names or symbol for specific degree information.
- Class names:
- Clicking on a class name takes you to detailed information on that class
- indicates a compulsory class for that course
- an optional class (hover over for explanation or click to see detailed regulations for that year/course)
- some classes (particularly those outside the department or where the choice is complex) are not shown on this table - these other classes are described on the detailed regulations for that year/course - click to see detailed regulations
- Elective: In first and second year most students take an elective class - classes from a range of topics are offered, normally by other department to give a taste of other subjects and broaden your curriculum.
- 4th Year Project: If you are on an honours or MEng course you will do a large individual project in 4th year: class EE475 for CES, CS408 for other degrees.
- Industrial Placements: BSc SE students do a one year placement between third and fourth year - this class counts as one level 4 class (CS415). MEng students do a three-month summer placement between third and fourth year (CS416) and MEng CS may optionally do a second three-month placement between fourth and fifth year (CS552).