History and Origins of Rouken Glen Park
(continued)
 

 

 
In 1913 Glasgow Corporation bought some land adjacent to Rouken Glen and created the public golf course, Deaconsbank. In 1924, the old curling pond behind the Mansion House was enlarged and improved to create a large boating pond with two islands and a boathouse. Visitors could hire rowing boats or take a trip in the large motorboat, as well as feeding the swans and ducks. Today the boathouse is a café and a listed building of historical interest.
 

 

  During the Second World War Rouken Glen was commandeered by the army and closed to the public. The Mansion House and other buildings became living quarters and offices while the parkland was used for military exercises. Six years of wartime use took its toll on the park - the iron railings surrounding the park were taken away and melted down for the war effort, while the Mansion House deteriorated in the post-war period and had to be demolished in 1967. The bandstands were also removed, as they were deemed unsafe and less popular than they had been in the pre-war era.
 
In 1984, Rouken Glen Park was leased by Glasgow City Council to Eastwood District Council (now East Renfrewshire Council) for 125 years. Since then a number of modern visitor attractions have opened, including a garden centre and gift shop, Eastwood Butterfly Kingdom, the Cathay Cuisine Chinese Restaurant, a large children's play area, cafes, and an art gallery.  
All images on this site are copyright of East Renfrewshire Council ©