George R S Weir : Publications
People and Computers IX : Proceedings of HCI'94, (Edited with G. Cockton
& S. Draper), Cambridge University Press, 1994.
Human Jobs and Computer Interfaces, (edited with M.I. Nurminen), North-Holland,
Human-Computer Interaction and Complex Systems, (edited with J.L. Alty),
Academic Press, 1991.
A number of my publications are available on-line
- Lepouras, G., Vassilakis, C, George R. S. Weir, 'A System to Support Dissemination of Knowledge and Sharing of Experiences in the Working Environment', International Journal of Continuing Engineering Education and Life-Long Learning, Volume 13, Nos. 3/4, 2003, 248-257.
- Lepouras, G. and Weir, G.R.S., 'Subtitled interaction: Complementary support as an alternative to localization', International Journal of Human Computer Studies, Volume 59, Issue 6, December 2003, 941-957.
- Lepouras, G. and Weir, G.R.S., 'It's not Greek to me: terminology and the second language problem', ACM SIGCHI Bulletin, vol. 31 No.2, 17-24, April 1999.
- George R S Weir, Meaningful Interaction in Complex Man-Machine Systems, Reliability Engineering and System Safety, Vol. 38, No. 1-2, pp. 151-156, 1992.
- George R S Weir, Learning from a Plan-Based Interface, Computers in Education, Vol.12 No.1,
- George R S Weir, Sitting on Ryle's Dilemma, Philosophical Studies, 47, 295-303, 1985.
A number of my publications are available on-line
- I Huet, J. Tavares, G. Weir. 'Insights on best teaching practices for promoting students’ learning', European Association for Research on Learning and Instruction, 11th Biennial Conference, EARLI2005, Cyprus, Greece, 2005. forthcoming.
- George R. S. Weir & Nikolaos Zonidis, 'Desktop security as a three-dimensional problem', Proceedings of International
Symposium on Mathematical, Statistical and Computer Sciences - a Special Issue of KMITL Science Journal, Bangkok, Thailand, 2005.
- George R. S. Weir,'Practical Selection of an Electronic Coursework Submission Procedure', Frontiers in Education Conference, FIE 2004, USA, 2004.
- George R. S. Weir & M. A. Gordon, 'Technology in plagiarism detection and management', Frontiers in Education Conference, FIE 2004, USA, 2004.
- Isabel Huet, Osvaldo Rocha Pacheco, José Tavares & George Weir, 'New Challenges in Teaching Introductory Programming Courses: A Case Study', Frontiers in Education Conference, FIE 2004, USA, 2004.
- Ferguson, J.D., Mohamed, R., Weir, G., Wilson, J., McGregor, D., McGregor, M. and Sutherland, E, "Making a Difference - The Appropriate Use of Web Technology", ED-MEDIA 2004 -- Lugano, Switzerland, June 21-26, 2004.
- George R. S. Weir, G. Lepouras, C. Vassilakis, 'Content Enrichment Through Dynamic Annotation', 6th International Conference on Enterprise Information Systems, ICEIS 2004, Portugal, 152-157, 2004.
- Mohamed, R., Ferguson, J. D. , Elsweiler, D., Mac Cormick, A., Wilson, J. and Weir, G., "BulB - Visualizing Bulletin Board Activity", 6th International Conference on Enterprise Information Systems, ICEIS2004, Portugal, 31-35, 2004.
- George R S Weir, John D Ferguson & John N Wilson, 'Animating complex concepts', ICHED2003, Aveiro, Portugal, 2003.
- Ferguson, J.D., Weir, G. and Wilson, J., 'Online learning: towards enabling choice', ICHED2003, Aveiro, Portugal, 2003.
- Huet, I.,Tavares, J., Weir, G., Ferguson, J. & Wilson, J., 'Cooperation in education: the teaching and learning of programming at the universities of Aveiro and Strathclyde', ICHED2003, Aveiro, Portugal, 2003.
- George R S Weir & Giorgos Lepouras, 'Tools for second language support', HCI International 2003, Crete, 2003.
- Weir, G.R.S. & Ozasa, T., 'DEUCE: A test-bed for evaluating ESL competence criteria', IASTED International Conference on Internet and Multimedia Systems and Applications (IMSA 2003), 2003.
- Weir, G.R.S. & Heeps S., 'Getting the Message Across: Ten Principles for Web Animation', IASTED International Conference on Internet and Multimedia Systems and Applications (IMSA 2003), 2003.
- Lepouras, G., Vassilakis, C and Weir, G.R.S.,
Serving Enhanced Hypermedia Information, 24th BCS-IRSG European Colloquium on IR Research, March 25-27, Glasgow, Scotland, UK, 2002.
- Mohamed, R., Ferguson, J.D., Weir, G., Wilson, J. and Cameron, S., "Supporting Arts and Science Communities On-line", ED-MEDIA 2002 -- Denver, Colorado, USA, June 24-29, 2002.
- Ferguson, J.D., Mohamed, R., Weir, G. and Wilson, J., "Professional Development On-line", Computers and Advanced Technology in Education (CATE 2002) Cancun, Mexico, 2002.
- Ferguson, J.D., McGettrick, A.D., Wilson, J. and Weir, G.R.S. "Reengineering for Quality On-Line", Computers and Advanced Technology in Education (CATE 2002) Cancun, Mexico, 2002.
- Weir, G.R.S., 'The rigours of on-line student assessment: lessons from E-commerce', International Conference on Computers in Education (ICCE2002), Auckland, New Zealand, 3-5 December, 2002.
- Weir, G.R.S., Helping out by helping in: approaches to electronic submission of coursework, 2nd International Conference on Technology in Teaching and Learning
in Higher Education, June 27-29, 2001.
- Kotsis N., Weir G.R.S., Ferguson J.D. and MacGregor D.R., Novel techniques for data visualisation and exploration in multidimensional datasets, ICEIS 2001,
3rd International Conference on Enterprise Information Systems, Setúbal, Portugal
7-10 July, 2001.
- Weir, G.R.S. and Lepouras, G., English Assistant: A Support Strategy for On-Line Second Language Learning, ICALT 2001, IEEE International Conference on Advanced Learning Technologies, Madison, USA, 6-8 August, 2001.
- Weir, G.R.S. and Lepouras, G., Localisation and linguistic anomalies, UAHCI 2001, New Orleans, USA, 5-10 August, 2001.
Weir G.R.S., Ferguson J.D. and Miller J., Managing Educational Web-dependence, World Conference on the WWW and Internet, WEBNET 2000.
Ferguson J.D., Miller J. and Weir G.R.S., Design and Deployment Decisions within an E-Commerce Environment, World Conference on the WWW and Internet, WEBNET 2000.
- J.D. Ferguson, J. Miller and G. Weir, "Estimating the Number of Defects at a WWW Site", World Conference on the WWW and Internet,
Proceedings WebNet’99, 377-381, AACE, 1999
- John D. Ferguson, George Weir and John N. Wilson, "Web Centric Education - a Challenge for Process Redesign", World Conference on the
WWW and Internet, Proceedings WebNet’99, 372-376, AACE, 1999.
Dynamic second language support for Web-based information systems (with
G. Lepouras), in SCI'98, Proceedings of the World Multiconference of Systems,
Cybernetics and Informatics, Orlando, Fl., 535-539, 1998.
Second language help for Windows applications (with G. Lepouras & L.
Sakelleridis), in M. A. Sasse, R. J. Cunningham & R. L. Winder (Eds.)
'People and Computers XI', Proceedings of HCI'96, Springer, London, 129--138.
The emerging Internet market, (with G. Howell & T. Freeth), Proceedings
of INET'95, Hawaii, USA, 1995.
Content and Form in Human-Machine Interaction, (with M. Lind), 5th IFAC/IFIP/IFORS/IEA
Symposium on Analysis, Design and Evaluation of Man-Machine Systems (MMS'92),
The Hague, The Netherlands.
Interface Economics: Standards, Needs and Desires, NordDATA'92, Tampere,
Living with Complex Interactive Systems, in G. R. S. Weir and J. L. Alty
(Eds.), HCI and Complex Systems, Academic Press, 1991.
Principles for Procedural Support in Man-Machine Systems, (with Erik Hollnagel),
Proceedings of the European Annual Conference on Cognitive Science Approaches
to Manual Control, Italy, 1990.
Graphical Dialogue Support for Process Operators, Proceedings of the Biennial
Conference of the South East Asian Regional Computing Confederation (SEARCC'88),
Tata McGraw Hill, New Delhi, 1989.
Human-Computer Interaction and Complex Systems: an intimate relationship,
IFIP:HUB conference on Information System, Work and Organization Design,
Dialogue Expertise in Man-Machine Systems, Proceedings of 8th European
Annual Conference on Human Decision making and Manual Control, June 12th
-14th, Denmark, 1989.
Varieties of Dialogue in Man-Machine Systems, Proceedings of the 2nd European
Meeting on Cognitive Science Approaches to Process Control, Sienna, Italy,
Principles for Dialogue Design in Man-Machine Systems, (with E. Hollnagel),
IFAC Conference on Man-Machine Systems, Oulu, Finland, 1988.
User Modelling in GRADIENT, (with E. Hollnagel & G. Sundstroem),
Proceedings of ESPRIT Technical Conference, 1987.
Dialogue Design for Dynamic Systems, (with J. L. Alty), Proceedings of
ESPRIT Technical Conference, 1987.
PRIAM : A Plan-Based Interface Design, (with C. Davenport), Proceedings
of Human Interface'86, Society of Instrumentation and Control, Japan, 1986.
Plan Recognition for Intelligent Advice and Monitoring,(with C. Davenport),
In People and Computers: Designing for Usability, eds. M.D. Harrison &
A.F. Monk, CUP, 1986.