I am keen to consider applications to study for a PhD or MPhil on topics related to usability, user evaluation, user aspects of mobile computing, usability aspects of domestic computing devices and novel interaction styles.
I am currently supervising Gennaro Imperatore's new PhD on mobile interfaces for users with special needs and Asma Malik's PhD jointly with Mechanical Engineering.
- Karim el Batran - PhD on mobile interaction for Arabic users focussing on form completion and text entry on tablets, phones and watches;
- Frøy Bjørneseth - PhD on muti-touch interaction in safety critical environments;
- Sohail Azad - MPhil on evaluation of mobiles;
- Andreas Komninos - PhD on pre-caching of information on palmtops;
- Nick Bradley PhD on interface design for context aware mobile systems.
In addition to these I have supervised many level-3, level-4 and MEng/MSc projects, currently including: smartwatch text entry, visualisation of driving simulator data, audio pacing for runners, wearable geotagging for cyclists and stroke rehabiliation wearable games.
I have acted as external examiner for PhD theses (at Brighton, Cambridge, Cape Town, Dublin City, DTU Copenhagen, Essex, Helsinki (2), Lancaster, Northumbria, Swansea, Tampere, UCL and Udine) and MScs.